Consult our full list of upcoming programs by date. Link for description and registration.
TAH = Emerging America’s Teaching American History program.
TPS = Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Program of the Collaborative for Educational Services.
DHM = Disability History Museum
Emerging America offers workshops from the Cape to the Berkshires and online.
For more information on each workshop, follow the link to the course’s website.
Teaching American History – 2013 Summer Program
- Resistence and Rebellion in American History
June 27 through August 1
THIS PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY FULL WITH A WAITING LIST.
Introductory Workshops on Inquiry-Based Use of Primary Sources from the Library of Congress (TPS)
For more information and registration materials, SEE Introductory TPS Workshops. All workshops are FREE.
- Veterans, Workers and Citizens: Disability and American History. Monday, July 29 9am-3:30pm at Keene State College. Presenters are Graham Warder (Keene State College); Catherine Glennon (New Leadership Charter Public School); Laurie Block (Disability History Museum); and Rich Cairn (Emerging America). (TPS)
- Self-Evident Truths: Persuasive Writing, the Revolution, & the Common Core. Franklin-Hampshire County Summer Academy (Collaborative for Educational Services). Wednesday, August 7 9am-3:30pm. Laurie Risler, 4th/5th Grade Teacher, Hilltown Cooperative Charter Public School, and Suzanne Judson-Whitehouse, Assistant Director, Emerging America. (TPS)
- Lessons in Motion! Using Audio, Video, & Images from the Library of Congress.Franklin-Hampshire County Summer Academy (Collaborative for Educational Services). Friday, August 9 9am-3:30pm. Suzanne Judson-Whitehouse, Assistant Director, Emerging America and Catherine Glennon, Teacher, New Leadership Charter Public School, Springfield, MA. (TPS)
- District Embedded Programming, Chicopee Public Schools. August 28-29, 2013. (Exact location TBD). (TPS)
- Veterans, Workers and Citizens: Disability and American History. Saturday, September 28 9am-3:30pm at Perkins School for the Blind (Watertown, MA). Presenters are Graham Warder (Keene State College); Catherine Glennon (New Leadership Charter Public School); Laurie Block (Disability History Museum); and Rich Cairn (Emerging America).(TPS)
- Guantanamo Memory Project: In the Classroom. Wednesday, October 2, 4:30-7:30pm. Presenters James Yee (former U.S. Army Muslim Chaplain for Guantanamo Bay military prison camp and author of For God and Country: Faith and Patriotism Under Fire) and Rich Cairn (Director, Emerging America). (TPS)
- Human Rights and Activism: Americans in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939. Saturday, October 19 9am-4:3pm. Presenters Sebastiaan Faber (Oberlin College), Peter Carroll (Stanford University) of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives and Rich Cairn (Director, Emerging America). (TPS)
Lesson Study Using Primary Sources (TPS)
Sharpen your skills at using primary sources to teach content literacy and the Common Core. Earn PDPs, tech. equipment, and other rewards.
Stay tuned for information about Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 Lesson Study for high school teachers.
Browse selected Past Programs.