EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 7 for February 14, 2018
- National Humanities Alliance – Follow and Weigh in on Federal Legislation – Read more about the proposal and campaign here
- Judges needed for Massachusetts History Day – March-April. Volunteer Form Here
- Revision of History and Social Science Framework Public Comment – January 23-April 2 – Survey
- http://www.loc.gov/ will be down from Friday evening for maintenance through Monday, February 19.
Dred Scott. 1887. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014645331/
From “Teaching Difficult Subjects” blog post at Library of Congress.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
Why Should I Take a Course on America and World Fascism?
Deepen your capacity to teach: extremism, controversial topics, how to deal with hate, 20th century ideologies. And of course, U.S. and world history.
- March 23 & 24 – 8:45am – 3:45pm – Plymouth North High School – America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond ($35). Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS:
Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources:
- March 12 & 22 – Dutchess County BOCES – Poughkeepsie, NY. ($35) Registration. (12 NY CEUs or grad credit).
- March 13 & April 3 – 8:30am-4:00pm – Boston ($72.50) FREE to Boston Public Schools teachers. BPS teachers contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need instructions on registering. Registration.
- April 5 & 23 – 8:30am-4pm – Westford Academy. ($72.50) FREE to Westford Public Schools teachers. Registration.
- April 24 & May 15 – 8am – 4pm – Northampton ($72.50) Registration.
- April 26 & May 8 – 8am – 3pm – Danbury, CT ($89) Registration. (Click “Register for Courses”.)
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week – YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Memories of 1968 Mexico City Olympic Protest: John Carlos and Oral History
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- Feb. 22 – 10am or 1pm – Virtual Field Trip – African American Experiences in WWII – WWII Museum – Classrooms free, pre-registration required.
- February 21 – Workshop – MA Historical Society – Yankees in the West Info and Registration
- February 24 – Workshop – MA Historical Society – Slavery & the U.S. Supreme Court – Info and Registration
- March 14 – 9am-3pm – Boston – We The People Workshop Info and Contact
- ESE district grant program for revised 2017 ELA and Math, 2016 Sci and Tech Standards – proposals due March 2
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.