EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 6 for February 7, 2018
- DRAFT SOCIAL STUDIES FRAMEWORK – Info. Input SURVEY! Open to April 2.
- Forums to Discuss Frameworks – Register through ESE:
- SNOW DAY TODAY (CORRECTION–Again!): NOW MARCH 5 – 4-6pm – CES, Northampton. Discussion forum on draft Social Studies Frameworks. Western Mass Social Studies PLC. What do other districts plan? What are your plans?
- Southeast. March 9 – 2-3pm. MCSS Conf. Bridgewater State Univ.
- Northeast. March 13. 4-5:30pm. Salem State Univ.
- Boston. March 21. 3-4:30pm. ESE, Malden.
- Welcome Jeff Zilch, East Longmeadow HS as our new Digital Materials Coordinator for http://EmergingAmerica.org! Many new resources coming!
- iCivics DBQuest Survey by Feb. 20 (prizes for completing survey)
Challenging new standards are coming!
How ready are you to support ALL your students?
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS:
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources:
- March 12 & 22 – Dutchess County BOCES – Poughkeepsie, NY. ($35) Registration. (12 NY CEUs or grad credit).
- March 13 & April 3 – 8:30am-4:00pm – Boston ($72.50) FREE to Boston Public Schools teachers. BPS teachers contact email@example.com if you need instructions on registering. Registration.
- April 5 & 23 – 8:30am-4pm – Westford Academy. ($72.50) FREE to Westford Public Schools teachers. Registration.
- April 24 & May 15 – 8am – 4pm – Northampton ($72.50) Registration. Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
- March 23 & 24 – 8:45am – 3:45pm – Plymouth North High School – America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond ($35). Registration.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week – YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feedback Exchange in the Creative Process
- 19th Amendment – Women and the Vote
- Frederick Douglass at 200
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Who Should You Show Your Writing To? Feedback advice from Jacqueline Woodson.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- February 8, 12, & 23 – repeated – Ford’s Theater Live Virtual Events
- Feb. 8 – 6-7:30 – From Western Mass to the World: W.E.B. DuBois – Camesha Scruggs – https://wistariahurst.org/
- Feb. 17 – 10am – Basil Dorsey Day: Four Families and the Fugitive Slave Law – David Ruggles Center, Florence, MA
- Feb. 27 – 7-8pm – Webinar – Jingdezhen Ceramics – Stephen Powers – Five Colleges Center for East Asian Studies
- March 9 – 9am – 3pm – Bridgewater State University – Going Global on Geography Education conference. Keynote – Robert Hellstrom. Discuss draft frameworks. MCSS. http://www.masscouncil.org/
- March 24 & April 28 – 3:30am – 1:30pm – Bridgewater State. Mass Geography Network.
- April 12-14 – NERC – Hartford – Bob Bain, Kathy Swann, workshops, & more! – Register.
- June 21 – July 5 – Japan Trip – Foreign Policy Research Institute – Fees.
- Une 22-24 – Dublin Seminar: Religious Spaces – Historic Deerfield
- Disability History/Archives Consortium Newsletter – Feb. 2018
- February & March. League of Women Voters of Massachusetts’ – “Get in the Game and Vote!” Student Video Contest. High School Students (at least 13 years old). Students create 30-second video on theme. Shown statewide. Cash prizes awarded – State House June 2018! www.pacio.info
- Bios of Lesser Known Black Leaders – Black History Ed Zone
- PBS Learning Media. Black America Since MLK. Lesson on Malcolm X.
- 110 Rules of Civility from George Washington – Mt Vernon.
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.