Emerging America History eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 26 for July 26, 2017
- NEW session of Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources. Hosted by Hilltown Cooperative Charter School – Easthampton. Starts Aug. 25. (See below.)
- FULL! – August 1 session of Accessing Inquiry for English Learners.
- Apply for free Sept. 30 CES-TPS Training-of-Trainers (9:00-4:00 – Arlington). Trainees may receive stipends to conduct primary source-based professional development in their districts. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and application–due September 15.
- “More Social Studies Instruction Needed.” (Not the title I proposed.) July 6, 2017 Commentary in Amherst Bulletin by Rich Cairn.
Sheet music and sound file both available for this 1915 anti-immigrant song. How does it compare to today’s political landscape?
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info
How can I support diverse learners?
- NEW. August 25 8:30-3:30; Sept. 26 3:30-5:30; Nov. 14 3:30-5:30 – “Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources” – Hilltown Cooperative Charter School – Easthampton. Rich Cairn and Albert Mussad. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER.
- October 19 & Nov. 16 – Hudson High School – “Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources” – Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network. Create a password and profile, then explore resources, discuss issues, and enjoy!
Featured this week:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Five Questions with Karen Lloyd, Director of the Library of Congress Veterans History Project.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- July 29 – Holyoke Community College – Pioneer Valley History Camp. Open to all!
- Disability History Museum on Facebook relates stories tied to current events. Such as a 1965 photo of LBJ signing the Medicare and Medicaid Act. https://www.facebook.com/DisabilityHistoryMuseum/
- New newsletter from the national effort by the Disability History / Archives Consortium.
- Can you spot the fake news? TOUGH online quiz. http://factitious.augamestudio.com/#/ NPR story on the quiz. (My favorite REAL news source.)
- Mt Vernon resources on the French and Indian War. Lessons, primary sources, timeline.
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.