Emerging America History eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 10 for MARCH 15, 2017
- NEW! “Becoming Helen Keller” website: https://www.becominghelenkeller.org/. And follow the project on Facebook.
SPRING EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info
Meet state requirements for Professional Development on Teaching Students with Disabilities!
- Accessing Inquiry for Student with Disabilities through Primary Sources. April 13 & 27 – Northampton. Laurie Risler & Rich Cairn. $65. Snacks, lunch, and all materials included. Grad credit available for extra fee. REGISTER.
Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available for $125 extra fee.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations.
How can we help students meet today’s challenges to democracy?
- America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond – This powerful workshop, features dynamic teacher Kelley Brown and top scholars from Stanford and Oberlin. Explore propaganda (including “Fake News”), mass media, and examination of the Klan, neo-Nazis, and far right in the United States today. Offered in English with Spanish language breakout. $25. Snacks, lunch, and all materials included. Optional grad credit in History available for fee. March 31 & April 1. Holyoke. REGISTER.
RESOURCES @ THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Library of Congress Summer Institutes in Washington, DC – Free – APPLY by MARCH 17 – http://www.loc.gov/teachers/professionaldevelopment/teacherinstitute/
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS and RESOURCES – Statewide & on the Web
- NERC – April 3-4 – Boston – Historian David Kennedy and more – REGISTER!
- March 21 – 4pm – UMass Amherst History Dept. – “Far from Sanctuary: African American Travel and the Road to Civil Rights” – Allyson Hobbs
- March 29 – 9am-4:30pm – Social Studies 2017 Legislative Day – Mass State House – Schedule time with your legislators. Details: http://www.masscouncil.org. REGISTER.
- Through March 30 – “States of Incarceration: A National Dialogue of Local Histories” – Forbes Library and Historic Northampton https://pv-soi.org/
- April 4 – Digital Commonwealth Conference – Holy Cross, Worcester
- May 5 – National Council for the Social Studies – Social Studies Teacher of the Year and other grants and awards – http://www.socialstudies.org/getinvolved/awards
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.