EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 20 for May 16, 2018
- Western Mass Social Studies PLC meets Wednesday, 3:30-5:00 at Haymarket Cafe in Northampton. Lots of changes to talk about! (Read on.)
- DESE statewide Civics Education Institute for 250 educators July 24-26 in Marlborough. Register by school district. Limited spaces remaining.
- Mass Senate includes $1.5 million for civics education in budget. Learn more and join those supporting Civics Advocacy Days May 16-18. Details.
- May 22 – 10:30am – Mass Board of Elementary and Secondary Education will hear the latest draft of the new framework in Marblehead. (New draft will be public just prior to that.) June 26 – Malden – scheduled vote on framework.
- Welcome to Michelle Ryan, new History and Social Studies Coordinator at the Mass Department of Elementary and Secondary Education!
- History Learning Lab – North Andover High School – News Article
- JFK Presidential Library & Museum (prizes!) – Teaming Up for Better Civics Education Survey
- Teaching Tolerance – Diversity Democracy Grants – Info and Applications
Do you know Disability History?
Disability History will play a larger role in new Mass History & Social Science Framework. Learn that history and gain tools to teach students with disabilities in June Accessing Inquiry Workshops. Registration
Taunton State Hospital (initial construction – 1853)
Massachusetts played a central role in the history of disability in the 19th Century, including building mental hospitals through the leadership of reformer Dorothea Dix. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ma1354/
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS
Register NOW for June.
Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 – North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 – Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- NEW! July 5 – August 5 – Fully online. The American War in Vietnam – Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 – CES, Northampton – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- NEW! July 30-31 – Boston Public Library – Immigration and Maps – Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Civil War Music: A Classic Primary Source Set Plays a New Tune
- Analyzing Propaganda’s Role in World War I
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- May 17 – 7pm – Hatfield Historical Society – Opening Talk: The Forgotten Empire of Porter McLeod: How a Hatfield Machine Shop Transversed the Globe (Exhibit opens on Sunday, May 27) – Info
- May 29 – 6-7:30pm – JFK Presidential Library and Museum (Webcast) – Our Towns: A 100,000-Mile Journey into the Heart of America – Register Free
- May 31 – 7pm – American Antiquarian Society – “Holding These Truths: A Panel Discussion about the Declaration of Independence” – Info
- June 17 – 2-4pm – JFK Presidential Library and Museum (Boston, MA) – Honoring the Centennial of Nelson Mandela – RSVP
- June 22 and 23 – 1.5 day conference – Historic Deerfield – Religious Spaces: Our Vanishing Landmarks – Program Schedule and Registration
- Five College Center for East Asian Studies – Becoming Modern: Early 20th-Century Japan through Primary Sources – Info
- July 18 and 19 – 4QM Teaching – Brookline, MA – Teaching and Learning with the “Four Question Method,” an inquiry method for teachers and students – Info and Registration
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.