SUBJECT: History eNews from Emerging America – MAY 17, 2017
Emerging America History eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 19 for May 17, 2017
- August 1-2, “Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources” will be the last opportunity this year for teachers who need this course to meet state requirement for 15 hours PD on teaching English Learners.
- July 11-12 course, “Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources” in Cambridge is filling fast!
- Civics Bill Update: In May, while the Legislature works on the budget, contact your representatives and senators to keep them updated on your programs.
SUMMER EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info
How can I meet state requirements (15 hours each) for Professional Development on teaching Social Studies to students with disabilities? English Learners?
- July 11-12 – “Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources” – Cambridge, Mass. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a space.
- August 1-2 – “Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources” – Greenfield Community College. Audrey Morse and Rich Cairn. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
How can I teach skills for civic life with current events?
- July 5 – August 5 – ONLINE – “Black Community and Agency: Fighting the Color Line (1877-1940)”. With outstanding instructors: Kelley Brown and Amilcar Shabazz! Available for 3 grad credits in History. REGISTER.
RESOURCES @ THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- Star Spangled Banner with Primary Sources. Post.
- Loyalty and Sedition During WWI through New Lenses. Post.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS and RESOURCES – Statewide & on the Web
- May 20, 2017, 1pm. Notes from Antietam. John Banks. Church of the Good Shepherd in Hartford. Organized by Springfield Armory National Historic Site.
- July 31-Aug. 4 – Moakley Courthouse, Boston – Article III of the Constitution – MCSS (Fee).
- Aug. 9 and 14-16 – Elms College, Chicopee – Teachers Program for Global Studies – Mass Geographic Alliance
- New England Museum Association – Fascinating talks and workshops.
Bullying and Violence Prevention
- Bullying Prevention Toolkit from the National Academies of Sciences.
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.