EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 21 for May 23, 2018
- Mass Council for the Social Studies summer institute program. See Summer below.
- Update on Frameworks – NEW DRAFT – 05/16/2018!
- Update on Legislation. Senate passed. Senate passed $1.5 million funding. Campaign continues, focused on House. http://macivicsforall.org/
- Civics and Social Science Network activities. (See below.)
- Input Needed on proposed revised Subject-Matter Knowledge Guidelines are open for public comment through June 29, 2018. To provide public comment, please visit: Public Comment: Subject Matter Knowledge (SMK) Guidelines (May–June 2018).
- Help Becoming Helen Keller cross the finish line. This historic film’s Kickstarter campaign ends with Friday May 25 its last full day. It’s within $5,000 of the $45,000 goal! And it’s all or nothing! http://kck.st/2F8YaWf
- iCivics – The State of Civic Education Survey
The American War in Vietnam – Fully online course – July 5 to August 5.
Analyze the American War in Vietnam with teacher-leader Kelley Brown and UMass Amherst scholar Chris Appy in this fully online course. Chris Appy authored: American Reckoning: The Vietnam War and Our National Identity (Viking, 2015); Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered From All Sides (Viking, 2003), and Working-Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam (University of North Carolina Press, 1993). Only $35. Additional fee for grad credit. Registration
Miguel Encinias in front of an F-105 Thunderchief in Vietnam. Miguel Encinias collection, Veterans History Project, AFC/2001/001/34287.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS
Register NOW for June.
Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 – North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 – Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- NEW! July 5 – August 5 – Fully online. The American War in Vietnam – Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 – CES, Northampton – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- NEW! July 30-31 – Boston Public Library – Immigration and Maps – Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week – YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
- Woodrow Wilson papers now online – Info
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- What did Lincoln Say about Extemporaneous Speaking?
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- May 27 – 2pm – Sojourner Truth Memorial Committee – Florence, MA – 16th Annual Sojourner Truth Memorial Celebration
- June 18-July 27 – Mars Hill University – Online Course – The Civil Rights Act of 1964 through Primary Sources – Info and Registration
- June 24-27 – Korean War Legacy Foundation – Charleston, SC – Summer Conference – Info and Registration
- June 25-29 – Mars Hill University, North Carolina – Musical Legacy of Appalachia: Using Ballads to Teach Poetry – Info and Registration
- July 2-27 – Mars Hill University and Southern Illinois State – Online Course – Strategies for Engaging Learners with Primary Sources – Info and Registration
- July 7 and 28 – US Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA – NCHE Colloquium – The Army and Technology of Warfare – Info and Registration
- July 9-13 – Mars Hill University, North Carolina – People Not Property: Examining Digitized Slave Deeds – Info and Registration
- July 9-13 – Maryland Humanities Summer Institute – Documenting the Past through Veteran’s Oral Histories – Info and Registration
- July 10 and 11 – 9am-3pm – Melrose High School, Boston, MA – Maps as Primary Sources to Energize Math, Science, and other STEAM Curricula – Info and Registration
- July 23-25 – Mars Hill University, North Carolina – Engaging Students with Primary Sources – Info and Registration
- July 24-25- 9am-3pm – Peabody Essex Museum – Salem, MA – Increase Student Engagement within STEAM Education by Exploring the Power of Primary Sources at the Peabody Essex Museum – Info and Registration
- July 30-August 3 – Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies, New England History Teachers Association, and Massachusetts Historical Society – Principles and Practice: How the American Revolution Help Shape the U.S. Bill of Rights – Registration
- Teaching Tolerance – Posters and Printables
- Achieve3000 and iCivics Announce Partnership – Info
Civic and Social Science Network – sites TBD
- July 24-26 – 8th Grade Civics Institute. FULL–except large districts
- September 18 – 5:00-6:30pm – WEBINAR – Civics and Social Science Education Network – Unpacking the New Framework
- October 11 & 15 – 3:30-6:30 – Civics and Social Science Education Network: World History and Geography
- October 22 – 5:00-6:30pm – WEBINAR – Civics and Social Science Education Network
- November 12 & 14 – 3:30-6:30 – Civics and Social Science Education Network: Grades K-5
- December 5 – 5:00-6:30pm – WEBINAR – Civics and Social Science Education Network
Other – Fee-Based Civics courses – Registration coming soon:
- July 18-20 – Teaching Civics and Social Studies K-5 – CES
- 2018-2019 school year – Western Mass Writing Project – Civic Literacy Institute – CES
- October 26 – 8:30am – 2:45pm – Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies Conference, Framingham – E Pluribus Unum
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.