Emerging America History eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 17 for May 3, 2017
- Burlington HS seeks Social Studies teacher for 2017-18. Info. Also Lowell and Barnstable.
- Apply to present at MCSS Oct. 20, 2017 Conference, Marlborough – 8am-4pm. Application.
Emerging America means dynamic and practical professional development.
SUMMER EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info
How can I improve learning for ALL learners?:
How can I meet state requirements (15 hours each) for Professional Development on teaching Social Studies to students with disabilities? English Learners?
- July 11-12 – “Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources” – Cambridge, Mass. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER. Email email@example.com to reserve a space.
- August 1-2 – “Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources” – Greenfield Community College. Audrey Morse and Rich Cairn. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
How can I teach skills for civic life with current events?
- July 17-21 + 2-hours in fall, date TBD. “Teaching Civics, Civic Action, and American Ideals through Early 20th Century Black Struggles for Equality” – Easthampton High School. Hands-on course–also with Kelley Brown, Amilcar Shabazz, and Rich Cairn! Explore vital stories and context for civic action and explore strategies to teach Civics. Available for 3 grad credits in History. REGISTER.
- July 5 – August 5 – ONLINE – “Black Community and Agency: Fighting the Color Line (1877-1940)”. With outstanding instructors: Kelley Brown and Amilcar Shabazz! Available for 3 grad credits in History. REGISTER.
RESOURCES @ THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children’s Day/Book Day).
Library of Congress Teacher Blog
- Bringing Books to Soldiers in WWI: The Library War Service. Post.
- Students Exploring Their Past through Photography. Post.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS and RESOURCES – Statewide & on the Web
- May 9 – NCSS Webinar – History Unfolded: U.S. Newspapers & the Holocaust. $20.
- May 12 – June 4 – Historic Northampton – Art exhibition – human impacts on the landscape.
- May 22, 5-7pm – History of Northampton State Hospital – Walking Tour. Email Laurie Sanders firstname.lastname@example.org. $12.
- July 17-19 – Raleigh, NC – NCSS – C3 Inquiry Design Model Summer Institute.
- Facing History. Summer Institutes. Fees apply. Including:
- July 17-21 – Natick – Revisiting Early America. Grades 6-12.
- July 24-28 – Canton – Dynamics of the Modern Middle East.
- July 31-August 4 – Boston – Cultural Proficiency for Today’s Diverse Schools.
- July 31 – August 4 – Boston. Article III of the Constitution. MCSS Content Institute.
- August 1-3 + November 4 – Mashpee – Teachers on the Estuary and the Wampanoag Circle of Life – Grad Credit Avail – $25 – Info.
- Oct. 20, 8:30am – 4pm – Marlborough – MCSS Fall Conference. Make proposal to present!
- National Humanities Center seeks Teacher Advisory Council Members.
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.