EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 22 for May 30, 2018
- The Mass House of Representatives votes this week on the Civic Engagement bill. Calls to give your input and thanks their stands do matter. The House passed $1 million for implementation. (The Senate already passed $1.5 million.)
- We reopened the Emerging America summer course on the American War in Vietnam. Register today!
- Human Rights Educators – USA – seeks applicants for two open steering committee seats – Eligibility criteria and nomination forms
- Ford’s Theater – Lincoln Online Oratory Project – Applications due September 7, 2018 – Info
Support New Framework in Grades K-5
Elementary teachers can learn and plan implementation of K-5 Civics & Social Studies with veteran teacher-leader, Laurie Risler July 18-20. Tell your colleagues!
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS
Register NOW for June.
Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 – North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 – Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- NEW! July 5 – August 5 – Fully online. The American War in Vietnam – Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 – CES, Northampton – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- NEW! July 30-31 – Boston Public Library – Immigration and Maps – Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week – YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Uncle Sam: Another Look at an American Icon
- Uncle Sam: American Symbol, American Icon
- How the Playground Movement Made a Case for Play
- June 2 – 1-4pm – Mass History Day Celebrates Douglass: A Bicentennial Forum – Roxbury Community College – Info and Registration
- June 9 – 10am-1pm – Sojourner Truth Memorial Committee – Talk a Walk in Sojourner Truth’s Shoes – Info and Registration
- July 16-19 – 9am-4pm – Elms College (Chicopee, MA) and Castleton University (Vermont) – Geo-Inquiry Summer Institute – Info
- July 16-20 – Historic Deerfield Outdoors – The River, Drifting Continents, Dinosaurs, and a Glacial Lake: Understanding the Amazing Stories – Info and Registration
- July 18-20 – MA Historical Society – Loyalism in the Era of the American Revolution – 45 PDPs or 2 grad credits – Info and RSVP
- July 23-27- 9am-5:30pm – The University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) – A is for Everything: How Typography Shapes Our Language and Culture – 3 credits (fee) – Info and Registration
- July 23-27- 9am-5:30pm – The University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) – The City as Primary Source: Connecting the City, Local Collections, and the Library of Congress – 3 credits (fee) – Info and Registration
- July 23-27- 9am-5:30pm – The University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) – Comics + Graphic Novels – 3 credits (fee) – Info and Registration
- July 30-31- Boston Public Schools: Introduction to Mass History Day – $250 stipend and 45 PDPs for Boston Public School Teachers – Info and Registration
- July 30-August 3 – Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies, New England History Teachers Association, and Massachusetts Historical Society – Principles and Practice: How the American Revolution Help Shape the U.S. Bill of Rights – Registration
- August 8-10 – MA Historical Society – The Reconstruction Era: History and Legacy – 45 PDPs or 2 grad credits – Info and RSVP
- August 15-17 – MA Historical Society – Lawrence v. Texas and LGBTQ Rights – 45 PDPs or 2 grad credits – Info and RSVP
- Perkins School for the Blind – Spring Newsletter and Resources
- PBS Learning Media – Giving Our Two Cents on Financial Responsibility
- Teaching Tolerance – How to Counter Online Hate Speech Video
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.