Emerging America History eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 21 for May 31, 2017
- Emerging America short survey on district social studies practice open till June 2! Legislators and administrators are asking for evidence about the state of Social Studies in Massachusetts. Weigh in on MCAS and other assessment options.
- May MCAS update from Mass Dept. of Elementary & Secondary Education. Includes draft timeline for development of standards and of new MCAS assessment.
- New grade 4 Unit Plan on Immigration at http://EmergingAmerica.org!
SUMMER EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info
How can I meet state requirements (15 hours each) for Professional Development on teaching Social Studies to students with disabilities? English Learners?
- July 11-12 – “Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources” – Cambridge, Mass. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER. Email email@example.com to reserve a space.
- August 1-2 – “Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources” – Greenfield Community College. Audrey Morse and Rich Cairn. Available for 1 grad credit in History. REGISTER.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
What content courses are you offering this summer?
- July 5 – August 5 – ONLINE – “Black Community and Agency: Fighting the Color Line (1877-1940)”. With outstanding instructors: Kelley Brown and Amilcar Shabazz! Available for 3 grad credits in History. REGISTER.
- Information Literacy: Building Observation and Questioning Skills with Newspaper Ads Post
- Food, Fun, and Primary Sources: Celebrating Holidays Post
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS and RESOURCES – Statewide & on the Web
- June 3 (2pm) The Watershops: The Heartbeat of the Armory- Springfield Armory Museum Theater- Info
- June 10 (2pm) Historic Northampton “Call me Professor, or, Students and Respect on Campus – A talk by Rob Cox, Head of Special Collections and Archives at the University of MA, Amherst
- Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies requests proposals to present at the Fall Conference- Info
- Free downloadable caption-authoring software from WGBH called CADET Info
- JFK Birthday – 100 years ago! JFK Library.
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.