EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 19 for May 9, 2018
- Pioneer Valley History Network – History Camp – Saturday, July 28 – Call to present
- Registration is now open for July 30-31 workshop on immigration history at the Boston Public library Leventhal Map Center – Register
- MCSS Accepting Applications to present at October 26 Conference – Info
- Classrooms Chalk Talk – The Future of Civic Engagement by Leslie Skantz-Hodgson – Article
- DESE statewide Civics Education Institute for 250 educators July 24-26 in Marlborough. Register by school district. Limited spaces remaining
Engaging Elementary Students
in Civics and Social Studies
Teacher Denise Woods and her students seek out and study gravestones of Revolutionary War veterans as part of research for a local history project. Register for Teaching Civics and Social Studies in Grades K-5, July 18-20. Registration below.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS
Register NOW for June.
Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 – North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 – Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- NEW! July 5 – August 5 – Fully online. The American War in Vietnam – Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 – CES, Northampton – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- NEW! July 30-31 – Boston Public Library – Immigration and Maps – Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week – YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
- Baseball’s ‘Magna Carta’ to be Displayed in Major Exhibition on the Game – Info
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Music Educators: How might you imagine using our resources?
- What’s New Online: Recent Additions to the Library of Congress Digital Collections
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- April 7-October 13- Friday 10am-2pm – Greenfield, MA – Tapping into History: Uncovering the Connections between Local Businesses in an Industrial Town – Info
- May 9 – 5:45-7:45pm – Boston Public Forum – Suffolk University – National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service (NCOS)
- May 10 – 6-9pm – Primary Source – Boston – Does Truth Matter? How Media and Education Interact in a Democratic Society – Info and Tickets
- May 14 – 6-7:30pm – John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum – US Foreign Policy in Asia – Info and Registration
- May 18 – 12-3pm – The Shirley-Eustis House, Roxbury MA – Past Masters PD Series – Info
- May 22 – 6pm – Academy of Music – Northampton, MA – G is for Gun: The Arming of Teachers in America – Info
- May 29 – 6-7:30pm – John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum – The Heart of America – Info and Registration
- May 30 – 6-7:30pm – John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum – Robert F. Kennedy: Ripples of Hope – Info and Registration
- October 26 – MCSS Fall One-Day Statewide Conference – Marlborough, MA – Call for Proposals
- November 8-11 – George Washington Teacher Institute – Fall Residential Program – Leadership and Legacy: Lessons from George Washington – Info
- Massachusetts Service Alliance – 2017 Annual Report – Info
- Five College Consortium Partnership Programs:
- PBS Learning Media – Rediscovering U.S. History – The Vietnam War – Info
- Disability History Museum – Info
- Five College Center for East Asian Studies
- National Humanities Center – 2018-19 Teacher Advisory Council Application now open – Info
- June 22-23 – Historic Deerfield – Religious Spaces: Our Vanishing Landmarks – Info and Registration
- June 26 – 10am-3pm – Old North Church, Boston, MA – Incorporating Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) into teaching History and Social Studies – Info
- July 10-12 – Summer Religious Studies Institute – NCSS – Info and Registration
- July 14 – 9am-4pm – Historic Deerfield – Out of the Ordinary: Variations on New England Building Practices – Info and Registration
- July 18 and 19 – 9am-3pm – Brookline, MA – Teaching and Learning with the “Four Question Method,” an inquiry method for history teachers and students – Info and Registration: www.4qmteaching.net
- July 30-August 3 – Principles and Practice Summer Content Institute – Info
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.