- SURVEY: What grad credit do you need? Do you need PDPs in History? Education? https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2015EmergingAmerica
- Civics & Social Studies PD in the New Federal Education Act? – Learn how you can support it. Learn how to involve youth in civic engagement. April 22, 6:00pm – Advocacy Webinar – Civics for All – National Council for the Social Studies www.socialstudies.org/advocacy
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS Teaching with Primary Sources @ the Collaborative
- Easthampton – America Comes of Age: Exploring Reform in the Early 20th Century (1900-1940). June 29 to July 2 ( + ½-day in Oct.). (3 grad credit/67.5 PDPs)
- Deerfield – African-Americans in Early New England through Primary Sources. July 7. (10 PDPs)
- Watertown & Derry, NH – Veterans, Workers, and Citizens: Disability & American History through Primary Sources. (10 PDPs)
- July 8 – Watertown
- July 24 – Derry, New Hampshire
- Melrose – History in Motion: Developing Multimedia Primary Sources. July 13 & 23, 8:30-3:00 + 2-hour in Fall. $400 stipend. (1 grad credit/22.5 PDPs).
- Springfield – Veterans Voices: Oral History, the Springfield Armory, & the Library of Congress. July 14. (10 PDPs).
- Northampton & Melrose – Teaching Primary Sources with Diverse Learners: Blending History & Common Core Instruction. (One grad credit/22.5 PDPs).
- July 22-23 – Northampton
- July 28-29 or 29-30 – Melrose
- Northampton – Teaching History and Literature (K-5). August 12. (10 PDPs)
From the Library of Congress Teacher Blog:
Library of Congress Webinars:
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS
Full calendar of Spring events at the Mass Historical Society www.masshist.org/events/
- April 23, 7:00pm – UMass – Goodell Hall – Panel: The Conflicting Legacies of the Vietnam War: Why They Still Matter – Scholars, veterans, peace activists, and more. http://vetsed.org/events-2/
- April 29, 3:30pm – 6:00pm – Chateau, Burlington Mass – Reception for Mass Social Studies Educators – Talk by David Pook! http://goo.gl/forms/vgQRmrx45o
- May 3, 3:00pm – Historic Northampton – The Cycling Craze of the 1890s: A Story of Race, Gender, Sport and Society – Lorenz Finison. www.historic-northampton.org
- May 11, 7:00pm – $7 – Wistariahurst – Puerto Ricans: The Search for Prosperity in the Paper City – part of a series on immigration http://wistariahurst.org/events-2/
- June 1, 8:30am to 4:15pm – Sheraton Framingham – Massachusetts Conference on Service & Volunteering http://www.mass-service.org/
The non-profit Center for Civic Participation is offering workshops on student leadership development. These workshops are designed to enable students to more effectively take part in civic engagement. Specific skills include issue framing, public speaking, power-mapping, campaign planning and development, lobbying and other forms of advocacy. Contact Paul Newlin at paul@centerforcivicparticipation or 413-665-3741. Also, see our website: www.centerforcivicparticipation.com.
Weekly (more or less) news & events
Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.