EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 6, Issue 3 for January 23, 2019
- National Geographic Geo Challenge – March 30 at Elms College – Needs Volunteers to Appraise Projects – Contact Information
- Feb. 12, 1-4pm – Support Civic Engagement legislation at the Massachusetts Statehouse. Mass Civic Learning Coalition.
- FINAL version of 2018 History and Social Science Curriculum Framework now available. Link to 2018 Massachusetts Act to Promote and Enhance Civic Engagement.
- Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies – Seeks Nominations for Educator Awards:
- Excellence in Teaching Social Studies – High School, Middle, Elementary (1 each), Outstanding Supervisor, Excellence in Teaching – Geography, Civics, Economics (1 for each subject), New Teacher (first 5 years)
- Online Form – March 1 Deadline
Study at the Library of Congress this Summer!
Library of Congress Summer Institutes: Applications Open – An Opportunity Not to be Missed!
- Open Sessions: July 8-12 and July 29-August 2
- Science, Technology, and Engineering Focus – July 15-19
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES
Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Instructors Rich Cairn & Alison Noyes. Meets 15-hour Massachusetts requirement for high quality professional development on teaching students with disabilities and diverse learners. Grad credit available. Register.
- Feb. 27 and March 6 – Northampton.
- March 27 to May 7 – FULLY ONLINE!
Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. Instructor Laurie Risler. Grad credit available. Register.
- April 23 and May 21 – Northampton.
New: America Transformed: Teaching Westward Expansion Using Primary Sources. Instructors Michelle LeBlanc, Rich Cairn, and historian Heather Cox RIchardson
- April 3 & April 10, 2019, 9am-3pm – Boston Public Library, Leventhal Map Center. Register with Leventhal.
Forge of Innovation: The Springfield Armory and the Genesis of American Industry, NEH Landmarks of American History and Culture Workshops for Teachers; applicants selected receive $1,200 stipend for travel and living expenses. Apply now. Information and Registration
- July 7-12 – Springfield, Sturbridge, Greenfield, Northampton, and Holyoke.
- July 21-26 – – Springfield, Sturbridge, Greenfield, Northampton, and Holyoke.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week – YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Best of Library of Congress Blog Posts
- Published Works Enter the Public Domain in the United States for First Time in Twenty Years
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- January 27 – 2pm – Historic Deerfield Winter Lecture Series: The Indian World of George Washington” – Info
- February 2 – 11am-noon – Nolumbeka Project: An Island Perspective on Wampum – Info
- March 2 – 9am-1pm – Five College Center for East Asian Studies Workshop: Reading Scrolls from East Asia – Info and Registration
- March 30 – 9am-1pm – Five College for East Asian Studies Workshop: Ghosts in Chinese Religion and Culture – Info and Registration
- April 15-May 5 – Harvard School of Education Online Course: Teaching Students to Ask Their Own Questions: Best Practices in the Question Formulation Technique – Info and Registration
Summer 2019 Events:
- NEH Landmarks of American History and Culture Workshops for Teachers – Living and Writing Deliberately: The Concord Landscapes and Legacy of Henry Thoreau – Concord, MA – Information and Registration
- July 14-19
- July 21-26
- Bureau of Labor Statistics published updated economic summary sheets – Info
- C-SPAN Classroom – Lesson Plans, Video, Classroom Deliberations – Info
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon – Music in the Revolutionary War
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.