Translate

English Dutch French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Northampton

Share This Page

Map of Northampton

Established in 1654, the Pocumtuc natives called the area that became Northampton, Massachusetts “Norwottuck,” or “Nonotuck,” which means “the midst of the river.” The Connecticut River linked Northampton to Springfield and Hartford, and trade among the three cities grew rapidly. In 1835, seeking a bigger slice of the river trade, New Haven merchants backed the construction of a canal linking their city with Northampton. However, the canal was shortlived and rail lines replaced it.

Relevant Date(s)
Est. 1654

Upcoming Workshops


The Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources (TPS) Program at the Collaborative for Educational Services is making accessible to all learners - includi…
In July of 2018, the Massachusetts Legislature passed a requirement that every student have the opportunity to complete civic engagement project between 8th and…