EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 21 for May 23, 2018
- Mass Council for the Social Studies summer institute program. See Summer below.
- Update on Frameworks - NEW DRAFT - 05/16/2018!
- Update on Legislation. Senate passed. Senate passed $1.5 million funding. Campaign continues, focused on House. http://macivicsforall.org/
- Civics and Social Science Network activities. (See below.)
- Input Needed on proposed revised Subject-Matter Knowledge Guidelines are open for public comment through June 29, 2018. To provide public comment, please visit: Public Comment: Subject Matter Knowledge (SMK) Guidelines (May–June 2018).
- Help Becoming Helen Keller cross the finish line. This historic film's Kickstarter campaign ends with Friday May 25 its last full day. It's within $5,000 of the $45,000 goal! And it's all or nothing! http://kck.st/2F8YaWf
- iCivics - The State of Civic Education Survey
The American War in Vietnam - Fully online course - July 5 to August 5.
Analyze the American War in Vietnam with teacher-leader Kelley Brown and UMass Amherst scholar Chris Appy in this fully online course. Chris Appy authored: American Reckoning: The Vietnam War and Our National Identity (Viking, 2015); Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered From All Sides (Viking, 2003), and Working-Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam (University of North Carolina Press, 1993). Only $35. Additional fee for grad credit. Registration
Miguel Encinias in front of an F-105 Thunderchief in Vietnam. Miguel Encinias collection, Veterans History Project, AFC/2001/001/34287. https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2016/11/vietnam-war-air-power/
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS Register NOW for June. Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners. “Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available. Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 - North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 - Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- NEW! July 5 - August 5 - Fully online. The American War in Vietnam - Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 - CES, Northampton - Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- NEW! July 30-31 - Boston Public Library - Immigration and Maps - Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
- Woodrow Wilson papers now online - Info
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- What did Lincoln Say about Extemporaneous Speaking?
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- May 27 - 2pm - Sojourner Truth Memorial Committee - Florence, MA - 16th Annual Sojourner Truth Memorial Celebration
- June 18-July 27 - Mars Hill University - Online Course - The Civil Rights Act of 1964 through Primary Sources - Info and Registration
- June 24-27 - Korean War Legacy Foundation - Charleston, SC - Summer Conference - Info and Registration
- June 25-29 - Mars Hill University, North Carolina - Musical Legacy of Appalachia: Using Ballads to Teach Poetry - Info and Registration
- July 2-27 - Mars Hill University and Southern Illinois State - Online Course - Strategies for Engaging Learners with Primary Sources - Info and Registration
- July 7 and 28 - US Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA - NCHE Colloquium - The Army and Technology of Warfare - Info and Registration
- July 9-13 - Mars Hill University, North Carolina - People Not Property: Examining Digitized Slave Deeds - Info and Registration
- July 9-13 - Maryland Humanities Summer Institute - Documenting the Past through Veteran's Oral Histories - Info and Registration
- July 10 and 11 - 9am-3pm - Melrose High School, Boston, MA - Maps as Primary Sources to Energize Math, Science, and other STEAM Curricula - Info and Registration
- July 23-25 - Mars Hill University, North Carolina - Engaging Students with Primary Sources - Info and Registration
- July 24-25- 9am-3pm - Peabody Essex Museum - Salem, MA - Increase Student Engagement within STEAM Education by Exploring the Power of Primary Sources at the Peabody Essex Museum - Info and Registration
- July 30-August 3 - Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies, New England History Teachers Association, and Massachusetts Historical Society - Principles and Practice: How the American Revolution Help Shape the U.S. Bill of Rights - Registration
- Teaching Tolerance - Posters and Printables
- Achieve3000 and iCivics Announce Partnership - Info
Civic and Social Science Network - sites TBD
- July 24-26 - 8th Grade Civics Institute. FULL–except large districts
- September 18 - 5:00-6:30pm - WEBINAR - Civics and Social Science Education Network - Unpacking the New Framework
- October 11 & 15 - 3:30-6:30 - Civics and Social Science Education Network: World History and Geography
- October 22 - 5:00-6:30pm - WEBINAR - Civics and Social Science Education Network
- November 12 & 14 - 3:30-6:30 - Civics and Social Science Education Network: Grades K-5
- December 5 - 5:00-6:30pm - WEBINAR - Civics and Social Science Education Network
Other - Fee-Based Civics courses - Registration coming soon:
- July 18-20 - Teaching Civics and Social Studies K-5 - CES
- 2018-2019 school year - Western Mass Writing Project - Civic Literacy Institute - CES
- October 26 - 8:30am - 2:45pm - Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies Conference, Framingham - E Pluribus Unum
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.