EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 24 for June 13, 2018
- NY Times online article on state of civics education in the nation – Article
- Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies (MCSS) – Fall One Day Conference “E Pluribus Unum: Out of Many, One – Call for Workshop Proposals
- National Regional Council for the Social Studies (NERC) – March 18-19, 2019 – Call for Proposals
Civics Projects Are Coming: Get Ready for It!
July 18-20 – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement & Social Studies
Share with elementary colleagues. Register.
Schenectady, New York. Sixth graders at the Elmer Avenue Elementary School bringing a war map up to date. This map is changed daily. News is gotten from the morning papers and the radio in the classroom (June 1943)
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- July 5 – August 5 – Fully online. The American War in Vietnam – Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- July 18-20 – CES, Northampton – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- July 30-31 – Boston Public Library – Immigration and Maps – Register.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS
June sessions cancelled. Contact email@example.com if your district would like to host this course at no charge to the district or to teachers from the district.
- CANCELLED – June 26-27 – North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools.
- CANCELLED – June 28-29 – Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week – YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- History Isn’t Boring! Final thoughts from a year well spent
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- June 17 – 2-4pm – JFK Library (Boston) – A Celebration of Nelson Mandela’s Centenary – Info and Registration
- June 22-23 – Historic Deerfield – Religious Spaces: Our Vanishing Landmarks – Info and Registration
- June 27 – 6-9pm – JFK Library (Boston) – Kennedy Library Foundation’s NFN Summer Celebration – Info and Registration
- July 5 – Historic Deerfield Summer Lecture Series – “Digging Beantown: Uncovering Community Identity through Public Archaeology in Boston” – Info
- July 9-13 – The College Of Education, Bridgewater State University The Center For Indic Studies, UMass Dartmouth & The School Of Indic Studies, Institute Of Advanced Sciences, Dartmouth, MA – Perspective on Teaching India for the K-12 Classroom – Info and Application
- July 12 – Historic Deerfield Summer Lecture Series – “The Other Home of Washington: Recovering the General’s Revolutionary War Field Headquarters” – Info
- July 19 – Historic Deerfield Summer Lecture Series – “Uncovering Hidden Histories through the Portrait of a Woman in Silk” – Info
- July 28 – History Camp Pioneer Valley – Info
- Teaching Tolerance – Southern Poverty Law Center, Whose Heritage? Report: A Teaching Opportunity Civil War memorials.
- JFK Presidential Library – Remembering Robert F. Kennedy’s 1968 Campaign
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.