EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 23 for June 6, 2018
- Massachusetts House passes Civic Engagement bill 151 to 0. Next step, conference committee to work out differences between houses. – Info
- iCivics – Nationwide Survey on the state of Civics Education – Survey
- Mohawk Trail Regional School District – Colrain Central School – Seeks Full Time Service Learning Coordinator – Info
- Springfield Armory Educational Opportunity – Teacher Ranger Teacher (TRT) Program – Includes $3,000 stipend and 3 Graduate Credits – Applications through June 8 – Info
- Library of Congress Regional Grants – Info
- Western Massachusetts Writing Project – Civics Literacy Leadership Institute – 2018-2019 schoolyear – Info
Civics Projects Are Coming: Get Ready for It!
July 18-20 – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies
Share with elementary colleagues and register.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA – Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS
Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 – North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 – Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- July 5 – August 5 – Fully online. The American War in Vietnam – Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 – CES, Northampton – Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- July 30-31 – Boston Public Library – Immigration and Maps – Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network – Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” Marches Across Time
- World War I Recruiting Songs: Building the Military with Music
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS – Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- April 7 – October 13 – Mass Humanities – Tapping Into History: Uncovering the Connections Between Local Businesses in an Industrial Town – Every Friday 10 AM to 2 PM and first and second Saturdays of each month, 10 AM to 2 PM. By appointment year round!
- June 9 – 1pm – Holyoke Public Library – Holyoke’s Gilded Age Architecture – Info
- November 30-December 2- NCSS 98th Annual Conference – Registration Now Open
- Online Summer – Illinois State University – The Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Midwest Regional Office offers two online introductory and intermediate graduate level courses focused on primary source instruction. It’s not too late to join this summer or sign up for the fall. To find more information about these courses, visit the TPS Midwest Region website – Info
- June 3 – 12pm – Wistariahurst – Belle Skinner’s Wistariahurst – Info and Tickets
- June 7 – 6-8pm – Wistariahurst – An Evening with Judge Michael Ponsor – Info
- June 16 – 2 & 4pm – Historic Northampton – The Gilded Cage: Northampton’s Last Water-Powered Elevator – Info
- June 27 and 28 – On Site – Melrose High School, Boston, MA – Leaders in Teaching with Primary Sources – 15 PDPs – Info and Registration
- July 10 and 11 – 9am-3pm – Melrose High School, Boston, MA – Maps as Primary Sources to Energize Math, Science, and other STEAM Curricula – 10 PDPs – Info and Registration
- July 25-27 – NCSS Newseum – 2018 Media Literacy Summer Institute – Register ($500 fee)
- Stanford History Education Group – Civic Online Reasoning Classroom Poster
- The Volunteer – June 2018 – Includes an Interview with Emerging America’s Director, Rich Cairn – Online Edition
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
– Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.